Aims & Learning Outcome
Aims:The broad aim of the programme is to provide, for students who are fairly competent in Chinese and English, a challenging bicultural education and vigorous academic training in translation and in research.
The learning outcomes expected at the completion of the programme are that students should be able to:
- Communicate competently in Chinese and English for academic and professioinal purposes;
- Perform translation independently or in a supervisory position in different milieus in Greater China: Hong Kong, mainland China, and Taiwan;
- Reflect critically on the socio-cultural factors that affect the production and reception of texts in general and translated texts in particular;
- Demonstrate an adequate understanding of the historical and current issues in translation practice and translation theory; and
- Conduct independent research in translation studies and related fields.