Update on Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Preventive Measures (28 August 2020)
28 Aug 2020
HSE Committee would like to update colleagues and students on the following:
Subject to the epidemic situation being under control, the Government will, having regard to the latest development of the epidemic situation and risk assessment, relax social distancing measures under a refined and sophisticated approach in a gradual and orderly manner in phases so as to allow social and economic activities to resume. The latest requirements and restrictions will take effect in the period of 28 August to 3 September 2020.
- a person must wear a mask at all times when the person is boarding or onboard a public transport carrier, is entering or present in an MTR paid area, or is entering or present in a specified public place, excluding outdoor public places in country parks and special areas as defined in section 2 of the Country Parks Ordinance (Cap. 208);
- extend the existing social distancing measures, including limited hours and number of seating of dine-in at catering business from 9:00p.m. to 4:59a.m. and re-opening of some scheduled premises;
- prohibit any group gatherings of more than 2 persons in public places.
For more details, please refer to the press release:
The Committee strongly advises all stakeholders to pay attention on the followings:
- All colleagues, students, contractors and visitors shall wear masks on campus, including indoor or outdoor areas, in offices and hostel blocks especially in common facilities and lifts.
- All stakeholders shall use mask which over and covering the person’s nose and mouth, touching the person’s nose, chin and cheeks, in compliance with the Prevention and Control of Disease (Wearing of Mask) Regulation (Cap.599I). The standard of mask includes any covering designed or made (a) to be worn over the nose and mouth (b) to provide the wearer protection against infections.
- To protect our cleaners and other users, all stakeholders shall dispose the mask properly.
- Please do not participate any activities, including meal gathering, without wearing a mask.
- As the supply of masks is stable in market now, colleagues and students are advised to purchase masks for their own use. The stock of the University will be reserved for emergency.
Specified Conditions Imposed on Inbound Travellers
Under Prevention and Control of Disease (Regulation of Cross-boundary Conveyances and Travellers) Regulation (Cap.599H), an inbound traveller who, on the day on which the traveller boarded a civil aviation aircraft that arrives at, or is about to arrive at Hong Kong (specified aircraft), or during the 14 days before that day, has stayed in any specified place Bangladesh, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, South Africa and the United States of America, must provide the relevant documents and undergo mandatory quarantine at the listed hotels. For details including the latest conditions and the listed hotels, please visit the website: https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/high-risk-places.html
Protect Yourself, Protect Our Community
In order to minimize the risk of community transmission, the Committee strongly advises all stakeholders that if they have to undergo compulsory quarantine, please stay at home or place of residency for 14 days before coming back to the campus.
Students and colleagues should not come to the campus if they or their home-mates are requested to do the COVID-19 test by CHP or their home-mates are undergoing mandatory quarantine. The same measure has been implemented for our outsourced contractors and guests.
In view of the occurrence of new and growing clusters in settings such as dormitories for foreign domestic helpers and a workplace for port workers, the Committee would like to invite all staff and students, especially residents in hostels, to stay alert when using common facilities so as to minimize and control the risk of an explosive community outbreak on campus and in hostels. Hand hygiene should be performed as always.
For information on COVID-19, please refer to the following links:
- Online Health Declaration Form: all students and staff shall complete this before coming to campus or when there is any change in status after last submission.
- For the latest updates on various news on COVID-19 infection and health advice, please visit the thematic webpage at: www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/index.html
- Webpage on Personal Hygiene (proper hand hygiene, proper use of mask, guidance note on monitoring of body temperature) at the following links:
- Webpage on Mental Health Infostation at the following link:
If you are being suspected or confirmed infected or under mandatory quarantine, please notify your department / office or any of the following teams:
Thank you for your kind attention.
Chairman, Health, Safety and Environment Committee