Lingnan University sets up special fund to support 2020 graduates
18 May 2020
Lingnan University (LU) announced today the establishment of the “Support Fund for 2020 Graduates” to help its 2020 graduates cope with the adverse economic impacts brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Fund was initiated by LU President Leonard K Cheng and Vice-President Joshua Mok Ka-ho, who both decided in April to donate 10 per cent of their annual salaries to the Fund, which will seek additional donations, to assist the 2020 graduates in building their careers.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has created serious difficulties for all types of businesses in Hong Kong and worldwide, with dire consequences for the graduate job market. There is no doubt that our graduates of 2020 will face unprecedented challenges in seeking jobs and career development,” said President Cheng. “We care very much about our graduates and this new Fund is designed not only to provide job opportunities to them, but also support them in upgrading their skills, or setting up their own businesses in times of adversity.”
President Cheng also called upon members of the Lingnan community as well as the public to support the Fund by making a donation or providing non-monetary contributions, such as jobs, internships and community service opportunities to help the graduating students.
The Fund will support LU 2020 graduates in the following major aspects:
1. Graduate internships and short-term employment
- Including Hong Kong Science and Technology Park and Cyberport Incubation Programmes, co-working space programme, part-time internship with startups, graduate/internship employments support, etc
- Subsidising graduates to set up their own businesses
3. Graduate training, skill enhancement and mentorship support
- Including global competition programmes, professional training and scholarships, one-off graduate development subsidies, graduate mentoring programmes with Lingnan Council members and Career Development Committee members
4. Tuition fee discount for enrolling in LU’s taught postgraduate programmes
5. Short-term or temporary job opportunities in LU’s departments and offices
6. Psychological counselling support